The Science Behind Happiness
Happiness isn’t luck, circumstance, or magic. It’s science. Design.org uses this science to help you design a happier, more meaningful life.
Where does happiness come from?
Modern culture teaches us that:
In other words, all your life, you’ve been taught that your happiness is determined by external factors, like:
- Where you go to school
- Your IQ
- Your grades
- Your salary
- Your productivity
- Your accomplishments
Science, however, disagrees.
More and more, science is showing that the modern way of thinking is completely backwards. In reality, the pattern is:
Design.org is centered around this idea: that using your thoughts to design your life will lead to happiness, which will lead to success.
Our self-assessment, personalized coaching, and affirmation packs take the science on happiness and help you apply it to your life, so that you can train your brain to be happy—right now, in the present, regardless of circumstance or external factors.
The Design.org method can help you learn for yourself that if you can create happiness now, success will follow.
Scientific findings on happiness
We’ve learned for ourselves that happiness leads to success, but we’re not the only ones. Scientific studies have been conducted on the subject, and they’ve found that:
- Happy people “tend to feel confident, optimistic and energetic and others find them likeable and sociable.1”
- “Positive ideation can be used to effectively counter worry.2”
- “Happy individuals are successful across multiple life domains, including marriage, friendship, income, work performance, and health.3”
- Positive mood is correlated with fewer illnesses, lower reported pain (based on a study of sickle cell disease patients), and lowered likelihood of drinking and smoking.3
- Other health benefits of positive thinking include: increased life span, lower rates of depression, better psychological and physical well-being, better cardiovascular health, and greater resistance to the common cold.4
- “The unique contribution of positive attitude to math achievement is as large as the contribution from IQ.5”
- “Your brain at positive is 31% more productive than your brain at negative, neutral, or stressed. You are 37% better at sales, doctors are 19% faster and more accurate at coming up with the correct diagnosis.6”
In short, science says that happiness leads to success, not the other way around.
Creating happiness: thoughts and positive affirmations
But if happiness doesn’t come from external circumstances, how can we create it?
It starts with your thoughts.
Just as there is science surrounding the benefits of happiness, there is science behind how to create it.
Today, a good amount of this research is centered around positive daily affirmations.
Positive affirmations: Positive statements that help combat negative thinking.
Positive affirmations can be used to build confidence and motivation, to drive action, or to drive any other positive change in your life.
But do they work? The science says yes.
Science shows that positive affirmations can help:
- Decrease health-deteriorating stress 7
- Increase physical behavior 7
- Activate “reward centers” in the brain 8
- Help create an emotional buffer against negative or threatening information 8
- Combat subconscious, negative self-talk 7
- Preserve self-worth in the face of shortcomings 9
When you use self affirmations to change your thoughts, you can change your attitude, your behavior, and your life.
This is why Design.org offers affirmation packs that allow you to schedule positive affirmations to be emailed or texted to you on a daily basis. Our packs are centered around topics like “Being Fearless” and “Achieving Simplicity,” but we also allow you to create your own affirmations that speak to your unique needs.
Whether you want to receive one affirmation a day, or six, Design.org makes it easy to make affirmations a part of your daily positivity and happiness practices.
Want to get started with affirmations? The best place to start is with our assessment. It will help you discover where you’re at on your current journey toward a meaningful life, so you can start designing the thoughts that will move you forward.
How Design.org Can Help
Design.org takes the science behind happiness and incorporates it into a program that helps you create and discover positivity in your life.
We’ve already discussed our affirmations, but we believe that the maximum benefit we have to offer comes through our personalized coaching.
Our personalized coaching utilizes our innovative Egg framework to help you identify where you are and how you can get to where you want to be.
With coaching tailored to your needs (based on your assessment results), you’ll be empowered to design thoughts that will help you create and live a life you love.
In short, we use the science of happiness to help you:
- Create a live a future you design
- Become your best self
- Receive the help you need, when you need it most
- Experience lasting change
Coaching is free for the first 30 days, and after that, it’s only $3.99 a month—about the price of a cup of coffee.
If you’re ever going to get there, you have to get started. Take our free assessment today, and take the first step toward designing a happier future.
Try Design.org for free!
Get started with an assessment to receive personalized coaching and affirmations for 30 days, at no cost.
- 5 Scientific Studies that Prove the Power of Positive Thinking
- The power of positive thinking: Pathological worry is reduced by thought replacement in Generalized Anxiety Disorder
- The Benefits of Frequent Positive Affect: Does Happiness Lead to Success?
- Positive thinking: Stop negative self-talk to reduce stress
- New Stanford Study: A Positive Attitude Literally Makes Your Brain Work Better
- The happy secret to better work
- Positive Daily Affirmations: Is There Science Behind It?
- Study Reveals the Neural Mechanics of Self-Affirmation
- Self-Affirmation Enhances Performance, Makes Us Receptive to Our Mistakes